Popular Post

Posted by : Unknown Tuesday 2 July 2013


I went for counselling today. Actually, I had booked for counselling sometime last year when we first moved to London and I found myself breaking down in tears one day on the road to school. I didn’t follow through with that appointment, though. The instant I felt a little better, I decided, “fine, now back to normal grinds of life.” This time around, however, I decided I was going ahead to attend the session. I felt I had been struggling to self-manage depression for so many years, and it wasn’t getting easier or better to handle. I didn’t know what to expect going in really. I guess I mostly had images in my head of American TV shows or movies. You know, patients lie on the couch and the shrink jots down ‘delusional’ on their pad while always keeping an eye on the clock. I’m happy to announce that it was nothing of that sort at all. There was no couch (a stiff chair, yes) and no jotting bespectacled psychologist. The counsellor did maintain eye contact throughout, and it was nice – in a way. It was a 40 minutes appointment, and expectedly, family dirt was dug up.  There was no tears – okay, very minimal (I’m a cry baby), but I didn’t leave there a wretch, which is a relief.

Although she wasn’t sure, the counsellor felt I might have bipolar disorder. She thinks if indeed I do have that, is quite very mild, which is why I haven’t taken it more seriously. She did say I’ve done a decent enough job self-managing over the years and developed my own survival strategies – constantly seeking for projects and more or less living in the future, that sort of thing. This first part scared me, thankfully the latter was very reassuring to hear. I can’t take all the credit though. We Naija people don’t take depression seriously. You’re either mad or you’re not.  So, if you’re not mad, you get on with life like everybody else. There is never a shortage of well-meaning folks impatiently waiting for you to “get over it”, “snap out of it” or the most helpful response I’ve ever gotten so far, “please, try and be happy” to my confession that I was deeply unhappy. Believe me, nobody wishes they could “snap out of” depression more that the person suffering it. If they could they would. But, I don’t know. I’ve lived with reoccurring and persistent depression for so long, I may need to learn to live without it should the scheduled next six sessions with the psychologist prove successful.

On a related note, it’s probably an area too ‘foreign’ for our ailing Nigerian healthcare system to handle right now, but I believe mental health gets absolutely no attention in Nigeria. When it does, it’s mostly in the negative – journalists shamelessly addressing people as ‘lunatics’ in their headlines, for an example. So for me, it is a good opportunity that I shall get to have some experience working in mental health while I’m here. From the 15th of this month, I would be doing some work at different inpatient and community mental health settings across four boroughs in London. We had the training on what to expect, and I won’t lie, it was frightening. But like I have learnt, both from my program and from my research in diabetes, it’s extremely important to see the person, and not the disease.


Ciao.


{ 6 comments... read them below or Comment }

  1. Great post. You're right. Mental health issues are not dealt with appropriately in Nigeria.

    I hope your sessions bring the results you hope for. Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they have been. Itz a form of talking therapy, i think. This sought of support universities in Nigeria needs to have on offer for their students.

      Delete
  2. I was diagnosed with major depression in college. I have taken antidepressants on and off for the past 6 years (and I am a very successful business executive). It's a taboo with my Nigerian friends but my American friends discuss this openly and without shame. Nigeria is just backwards in many regards. No other way to describe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, once upon a time, mental illness was a taboo topic in the west as well. Lots of people locked up and the keys thrown away. That made pple reluctant to admit something was a little off somewhere. I believe gradually the same change will come to Nigeria. I have faith.

      Delete
  3. Late gate crasher.....
    All the best with your treatment. I'll come around to post a TED podcast link that contained a talk by Elyn Saks, a Professor of Law at the University of South California. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A book i think you would enjoy; The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness by Elyn Saks.
      Also, the link i promised: http://blog.ted.com/2013/03/01/the-unquiet-mind-ted-radio-hour-season-2-premieres-today/

      Delete

definitely go for it!

- Copyright © Knotty Pants - Date A Live - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -