Popular Post

Posted by : Unknown Wednesday 10 July 2013



Bomboy and I have been living with my mom since we moved to the UK. It is cheaper – no rent (MM is already carrying plenty load with that £700/month day care/nursery we saddled on our neck, which is almost N210k/month if we do the money conversion. Our Naira no get value chaaaaaa!) Also, living with family meant I had help with bomboy – this I felt was mostly for mouth and that’s as much as I am willing to say on that for now since as I can’t look a gift horse in the mouth. So anyway, for nine months I have lived with family and as you would expect, disagreements berekete. For the most part, it hasn’t been terrible. You vex, you calm down; life continues. But, for three weeks in June, it got a little serious. It started with my mom and during that period we weren't speaking. But the one with my sister kinda went over the top and pretty real damage was done. Next thing, a family meeting was called with my mom’s pastor in attendance. Everyone sha let off steam from their chest and nasty accusations were thrown all around. We are mostly all good now – peace is jejely returning. 

However, there was something mom said when it was her turn to throw mud. She said I felt big. Was it because I was in my master’s program, is that why I can’t show her the respect she deserves as my mother? Her grievance? That I hadn’t come to her to make peace those weeks she stopped speaking to me. To be honest, I knew that’s what she expected. But I was mad with her, and felt since she was clearly at fault, why shouldn’t she apologise? That African method of the child always being wrong no matter what just didn’t fly with me, and I was determined to stand my ground. But, that’s not what I want to talk about today. Rather, I want to focus on the feeling big business.

I really can’t wrap my head around her belief that I considered a master’s program so acclaimed that I would suddenly think myself the cat’s meow. One of the places I intern, virtually all the staff are postgraduates. It seems as if that with a masters, I would be starting at the deep end of my career prospects. I mean when folks are PhD holders with years and years of research and publication, what is a master's? I am a complete novice, a beginner. In fact, being in junior management back in Nigeria, I felt far more in control of my life than I feel here. I have now vied off administration – something I did for seven years – and come into a different area with very limited experience. Big is the last thing I feel. Actually, I have never combated self-doubt and feelings of utter failure since adolescence like I have had to these past months. The only reason I hadn't sought the help of a psychologist much earlier is because that Naija part of me still kinda equated it to mental illness. And of course, not having the funds for a shrink is big part of that reluctance, not being entirely sure what is covered by my free NHS service.

Secondly, I only counted this postgrad as an achievement once, and that was when I was asking my mom why she never highlights my positive attributes but keeps recounting my failings. I pointed out to her that I had been the first of her children to get into the university, graduate from it, find a job, and now begin a master’s. I added that I wasn’t just stopping there, but was actively making efforts for a PhD. I was like, what do I do for you to acknowledge areas I have done well?

Yes, I talk about getting a PhD a lot on this blog. For those who may not understand why and probably are wearing the same glasses as my mom, let me expose myself a little. I am someone who believes that things don’t come to her easily. I keep waiting to be proved wrong, but I keep being disappointed. When you feel as I do that you always have to fight for everything you get, you somehow look for the strength to continue in the fight for as long as you can. That’s because you often feel like giving up with every door you hoped would open but doesn’t. With every time your self-esteem takes a beating, you question if you hadn't overvalued your abilities. With every exam result or application response that comes out less than expected, the message you deduce from it is: sorry, you’re not good enough. You deal with these over and over, and you wonder, "shouldn’t I just give up torturing myself so?" Wouldn’t my life be easier, happier if I didn’t have to keep pushing on? You want to quit, but you know that it would hurt like a bastard. Because not only that people have weighed you and found you wanting, you have done the same to yourself. I don’t know about some people, but living would be difficult if I ever accepted to myself that, “you know what, you won’t amount to much after all.” So, that’s why I go on and on about this PhD. It’s a reminder to myself that I have to keep pushing. Yes, it may not give me the career fulfilment that has remained elusive to me. It may not get me that World Bank or UN job. It may not make me an important person, no matter the capacity. But I think, if I have it, I could look at myself and say, “you wanted something; you went after it despite the odds, and you got it!” I need that.  Well, until my next project of course.

So anyway, back to this talk about me feeling big. I think really, when people move into a different level in their lives – be it marriage, parenthood, career advancement – there is always that risk that someone would feel this ‘accomplishment’ has boosted their confidence and disillusioned them about their place in the world. That is why a friend will say to you, “is it because you are married/engaged/in a committed relationship, you think you can advise me about men.” If the two friends had been on equal footing, the advice wouldn’t take the hidden meaning it has now taken. But because something has changed for one, it suddenly is a matter of, "who the hell do you think you are?” I am not going to lie and say I have never been the person thinking someone has grown bigger than their breeches. I’m too human not to. Envy is a natural reaction. Although I have felt it, I’ve mostly refrained from acting on it (okay, maybe it’s slipped out of me once or twice). 

I was disappointed to be accused of feeling too big, because lord knows I have too much demons am battling per time to ever enjoy any success. But, folks generally have their opinions and you can’t kill them for it.


Ciao.


{ 8 comments... read them below or Comment }

  1. I commend you for this. Very brave. I wish you much success. Hang in there. It's a season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. things are all good now, though. One happy family

      Delete
  2. I knw the feeling. It will work out @ the end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. itz been fine for a while now. It was just stress on my part dat escalated things

      Delete
  3. while i agree with you

    i kinda get your mum's issue too

    african parents mostly (unintentionall)reject independence from their kids-irrespective of the kids's age or status

    so while you are busy asserting yourself-all she sees is her child who no longer seemingly needs her and can take on the world alone

    so much as you dont get it-your refusal to apologise was you feeling big

    dont worry...you in all yourself self righteousness shall tell us different when bomboy becomes married and strives and achieves all his goals...

    you must remember that we cant predict how people will feel about things we say or do and vice versa

    the thin line between intent and perception is sooooo faint....

    God's speed with the PHD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. u know! Itz well. Thanks for the best wishes

      Delete
  4. I'm curious...does your mom have a master's degree as well?

    ReplyDelete

definitely go for it!

- Copyright © Knotty Pants - Date A Live - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -